For my YearAbroad starting July 2013.



July 2013 : Paris

September 2013 - March 2014 : Ferrara, Italy

March 2014 - September 2014 : Modena, Italy

02/02/2014

Health kick.


I started 2014 pretty healthily. I decided to go gluten free for January and see how long I could last. I decided to do it, not because I am gluten intolerant, but because I had heard about the health benefits of not eating gluten and how it could give you a lot more energy, which I sometimes feel I lack.

I wasn't too strict but basically cut out any flour-based products such as bread and pasta and anything else that was predominantly wheat.  You are allowed rice and potatoes though, thank goodness!

I was at home in England for the first two weeks which made it pretty easy to avoid gluten as our supermarkets have such a great range of gluten free foods, particularly asian cuisine which is often just made with rice.

But then, I went back to Italy...... all downhill from there!

My first night back, my housemates had made a birthday dinner for one of them which included pasta then birthday cake. Of course I couldn't be rude and say no, so I tucked in. It was worth it though :)

Since then I have tried my best to avoid pizza and pasta and I don't buy gluten products when I go to the supermarket. But obviously it would be pretty silly to avoid it completely seeing as the Italian food is just so good and i'm only here for another 6 months! I know i'll miss it when i'm back in Exeter!


This weekend, I have had two pizzas though, and with the rain I have done no proper exercise as I am not a member of a gym (no excuse I know).

So this week I am going to try and be creative with my cooking and try out some new recipes so that I can stay healthy but still eat yummy, varied food.

So if you want to try eating less wheat/gluten, and just eat more healthily, I hope you'll try out some of my ideas.

Buon Appetito!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment